Google Play Newsstand
Offers personalized news from many different sources
In the digital age in which we live, we all have started to move away from the traditional newspapers and magazines of yesterday. Instead, we demand that the current news and vital information we need to know be at the tips at our fingers at all times. Google Play Newsstand meets the challenge of providing a technological advanced population with digital access to all the news we need to know. The app is the latest iteration of this type of service provided by Google and replaces the company's old "Currents" app.
Whether you prefer reading the most current news articles or the more in-depth long-form magazine articles on a given subject, you are sure appreciate the thorough resources provided by Google Play Newsstand. The app offers information about all types of subjects including, leisure, sports, technology, and cooking. The best part is that all of this is conveniently located in the palm of your hand and is available whenever you want to access it.
Besides just reading the articles from the hundreds of publications available in Google Play Newsstand, you can also choose to "follow" a particular online magazines or other news sources so that you receive notifications when new articles are posted. By utilizing the "Read Now" function, you can learn of other journalistic pieces that may be of great interest to you. As an added bonus, you can even share the pieces that most interest you with your family, friends, and business associates via various social media platforms. The app will also let you bookmark certain articles for future reading.
- Places breaking news and in-depth articles in the palm of your hand.
- Bookmark interesting articles for future reading.
- Share your favorite pieces via social media.
- Some users find the interface to be poorly designed.
- Catch up with the latest news in less than one minute with a personalized news briefing
- Enjoy a stream tailored to your interests, powered by Google’s recommendation engine
- Control which sources and topics appear in your feed by giving feedback
- Enjoy auto-playing videos and high resolution images that bring your feed to life
- Quickly navigate the app with four simple tabs at the bottom of your screen
- Enable data-saver mode for efficient use of bandwidth
Potentially dangerous permissions
- ACCESS_COARSE_LOCATION: Allows an app to access approximate location. Alternatively, you might want ACCESS_FINE_LOCATION.
- ACCESS_FINE_LOCATION: Allows an app to access precise location. Alternatively, you might want ACCESS_COARSE_LOCATION.
- GET_ACCOUNTS: Allows access to the list of accounts in the Accounts Service.
- READ_EXTERNAL_STORAGE: Allows an application to read from external storage.
- WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE: Allows an application to write to external storage.
- ACCESS_NETWORK_STATE: Allows applications to access information about networks.
- GET_PACKAGE_SIZE: Allows an application to find out the space used by any package.
- INSTALL_SHORTCUT: Allows an application to install a shortcut in Launcher.
- INTERNET: Allows applications to open network sockets.
- READ_SYNC_SETTINGS: Allows applications to read the sync settings.
- READ_SYNC_STATS: Allows applications to read the sync stats.
- RECEIVE_BOOT_COMPLETED: Allows an application to receive the ACTION_BOOT_COMPLETED that is broadcast after the system finishes booting. If you don't request this permission, you will not receive the broadcast at that time. Though holding this permission does not have any security implications, it can have a negative impact on the user experience by increasing the amount of time it takes the system to start and allowing applications to have themselves running without the user being aware of them. As such, you must explicitly declare your use of this facility to make that visible to the user.
- UNINSTALL_SHORTCUT: This permission is no longer supported.
- WAKE_LOCK: Allows using PowerManager WakeLocks to keep processor from sleeping or screen from dimming.
- WRITE_SYNC_SETTINGS: Allows applications to write the sync settings.